Favorability of the solar and wind industry is strong among New Mexico residents. Overall, 66 percent of all residents have a favorable impression of the solar & wind industry.
Demographically, residents in the 35-49 year old age group are the strongest supporters of the solar/wind industry. In addition, residents with annual incomes less than $20,000 and over $80,000 have strong favorability of the industry.
Geographically, residents living in North Central New Mexico are the industry’s most favorable supporters. Residents living in the Northwest part of the state are not as favorable toward the industry.
Interestingly, college graduates and residents who are registered as Democrat are very favorable toward the industry.
- Goal – Leverage the solar/wind industry strength to pass incentives for the industry.
- Research – Use the GPS’17 data to identify key supporter demographics, including those or registered Republicans, Democrats and Independent voters.
- Research – Use the GPS data to identify news and information source accessed the most by those who support the industry.
- Planning – Develop a key opinion leader outreach strategy to share the industries successes and concerns with key opinion leaders.
- Execution – The eight to 10 month approach should include a speakers bureau presentation and coffee conversations with elected and community leaders.
- Evaluation – The evaluation can be tied to renewal/establishment of new incentives to grow the industry.
Favorability of the Solar & Wind Industry
- 38% Very Favorable
- 28% Favorable
- 15% Neutral
- 7% Unfavorable
- 5% Very Unfavorable
- 7% Don’t Know Wont Say