Favorability of state universities is strong among New Mexico residents. Overall, 62 percent of all residents have a favorable impression of state universities.
Demographically, 67 percent of New Mexico residents identifying themselves as registered Democrat favor state universities; compared to 60 percent favorability among registered Republicans.
Geographically, residents living in the Eastern and Albuquerque Metro areas have the highest favorability toward state universities.
Interestingly, the household income range with the highest favorability is not the highest group of wage earners. In fact, the lowest tracked income group is the most supportive. Seventy one percent of New Mexico residents with household incomes less than $20,000 are favorable toward state universities compared to 63 percent favorability among residents with a household income exceeding $80,000.
- Goal – Position state universities as the preferred institution for financial contributions.
- Research – Use the GPS’17 data to identify geographic and demographic areas of support among those with a household income exceeding $40,000.
- Planning – Identify areas to conduct focus groups among demographic targets.
- Execution – Conduct focus groups with the intent to identify key message themes of supporters.
- Execution – Develop a twelve-month communications plan to engage target audiences based on input from the focus groups.
- Evaluation – Measure any increase/decrease of giving to state university foundations among target demographic audiences.
Favorability of State Universities
- 27% Very Favorable
- 35% Favorable
- 25% Neutral
- 6% Unfavorable
- 2% Very Unfavorable
- 5% Don’t Know Wont Say